Saturday, May 31, 2008

Wildlife Habitat!

My land is now certified with the National Wildlife Federation as a wildlife habitat. I am thrilled! This has been a goal of mine for years.

There are a few more things I want to do, as money allows.

  • I would like to put in a small wetland
  • I want a habitat for amphibians
  • I'd like a water feature
  • I definitely want a bat house
  • I want a house for mason bees (love those pollinators!)

I think all these things are compatible with my homesteading activities. I find great pleasure in nurturing the wild creatures that share my home.

Last year, I hung up a bird house gourd. I was so disappointed that no birds used it. This morning, Hub told me to go look. There's a nest inside, and a wren flew out as I approached! I am delighted!

The garden is doing well. Except, only a few corn plants have sprouted. I may plant a few more tomorrow and see what happens. The zucchini looks good. Can't wait for fried zucchini and zucchini bread. MMMMM!

Our solar clothes dryer (clothesline) has continued to bring me pleasure. It may sound funny to some, but I love being outside, hanging clothes and folding them as they come off the line. It's soothing. There has been a stiff wind today, so it hasn't taken things long to dry!

Hub is working on the chicken coop. He has installed the door for the chickens and only needs to rig up a pulley system to open and close it. Now he is finishing off the side of the coop where the lttle door is so we can get it sided, painted and the run put up. The chickies are getting too big for their little pen!

I have checking into what kind of goats I'd like to get next year. I am leaning towards the Dwarf Nigerian goats. They have milk with a high butterfat content, good for making cheese. I need to eventually pick a spot for a shelter for the larger livestock. I worry about coyotes getting the goats, so I may look into a guard lama.

I also definitely want Angora rabbits. I am going to learn to spin this year if it kills me! Drop spindle and on the wheel. I'd like to be able to spin right off the rabbit. Besides, they are adorable!!

No comments: