Thursday, May 08, 2008

Slow Going

I have been fighting bronchitis this week. I've had three days off and couldn't enjoy it for being sick. Ick. I haven't even felt like scrapping. It has been pouring rain for three days here and I couldn't do anything outside, either.

I did gather the bills and it is depressing. I am going to have to work more to make ends meet. I love my job, but it is physically and mentally draining to me. Right now, I work 64 hours a pay, that's 8 shifts in two weeks. That is really my limit. Up until now, it was OK, although Hub is a bit weird about me not working "full time." The work exhausts me and doesn't leave me much to give at home. I don't think he understands how hard it is to be a nurse.

But money is more than tight right now and we need more. One of the new nurses is resigning and I know I could pick up a couple more shifts to make me 80 hours. Since I work evening shift, I'll never get to see Hub, except on the weekends that I am off and two days in that two weeks. I just wish I was back on day shift, but I kind of burned that bridge. I guess we will see what happens. Maybe I could work more just through the summer, until we get the Subaru paid off. That will free up almost $400 a month.

The chickens are growing like weeds. They are so funny. Hub built them a roost. When he put it in the coop, they immediately jumped on it. Since then, they have spent more time huddling beneath it. I guess they will figure it out.

My garden looks amazing. I now have cabbage, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, broccoli, basil, and thyme. Dad gave me $100 for my birthday and I am going to spend it preparing my last raised bed and buying veggies for it. I can't wait to actually harvest something, even just one strawberry.

I received a catalog from Gaiam/Real Goods that has a lot of cool, low eco-impact products in it. Some are more money than I would spend, but others may be possible next year. It is nice to dream...

No comments: