Wednesday, May 14, 2008

So far, my garden rocks!

My garden looks awesome! Bean got me Italian parsley for Mother's Day, so I planted it today. My cabbage is beautiful. And I had my first harvest! Two lovely strawberries, just ripe! They were tasty and I hope I have more soon!

I planted beets today, much to Hub's excitement. I have never had fresh beets, only canned or pickled. Hub doesn't like pickled beets. He says that beets with butter and some salt are heavenly. I can't wait to try!

I have everything I need to fill my last garden bed, except good enough weather. It has been the rainiest spring ever, I think. I am hoping to have time and good weather this Sunday.

The chickens continue to thrive. We have been busy, so no further progress on the coop. I put them in their pen as often as I can, weather permitting. I got them a large feeder and waterer as the small ones didn't hold them a day. Hub hung them from the coop ceiling and they stay much cleaner.Hub also built a three tier roost. It is so cute to see the chickies on it. Some on it, some under it. It's a process!

I now have a compost area, made with supplies we had on hand. I am delighted to have a place for my kitchen scraps and the shavings from the coop.

I am pleased with my progress with my little homestead so far. I am being patient, enjoying the process. It is a journey and an adventure.

No comments: