Monday, June 09, 2008

Casey digs archaeology!

I went to Historic New Harmoney today to see Casey working on the dig. I was very impressed with my petite daughter lugging five gallon buckets full of dirt two at a time. She showed me around the site, which is small, and explained what they had found so far. They have located an area that held a barn long ago. Today, they were working on the area that may have been a summer kitchen.

I watched her dig for a bit as she explained the process and what she might find. We spent the rest of the morning at the screen area. I was so impressed as she worked the dirt through the screen. She found some sizeable shards of red ware, a local glazed pottery. There were bones, not human. Casey said they were most likely from pigs as that was primarily the type of animal bone they had been finding.

We also talked about personal things, her boyfriend, school, and how she was trying to be self-sufficient. How she has matured in this last year. I am so very proud of her.

She thinks she will finish her psychology degree at USI, then do her graduate work in anthropology. As she was working at the screen, covered in dirt and sweat, she said one thing I will remember forever: "Doing this makes me happy."

Then, my darling, this is what you should do.

No comments: