Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Salad in progress

Yesterday, I planted swiss chard, arugula, and romaine. My garden is so pretty! I just wish it would warm up here. I think the garden will really take off with some good sunshine!

I bought crickets for the chickens yesterday. I love to watch them go nuts and chase around the coop. Of course, whoever gets the last cricket gets chased around by the others until the cricket is eaten! So funny! They make more "chicken" noises now, instead of peep, peep, peep. They look so surprised when a full blown cluck emerges.

I almost ended up with a bunny yesterday. I was at the pet store (small pets only, no cats or dogs) to get the crickets when I noticed an enclosure full of bunnies. One little lop hopped up to the glass, sat up and wiggled its nose at me. Instant love! For only $25. Of course, then I would have to buy bedding, a feeder, a waterer, food and a cage. But, oh, I wanted that little rabbit. It was all I could do to take my crickets and leave.

I have filled all the space in my garden. I now wish I had more room. I was walking in our back acreage this morning, looking at all the space, planning projects to make use of that area. We have 3.3 acres and it seems a shame not to utilize it.

I have it in wildflowers and prairie grasses, but I am still fighting Johnson grass. I am trying to conquer that by hand weeding as I don't want to mow down the beneficial plants. We have planted trees out back, but our lovely deer think we are putting out snacks. I don't want to be rid of the deer (I love to watch them), but need to protect and future tree plantings. Deer fencing, I guess.

In the next week, I am hoping to finish everything I need to get certified by NWF as a Backyard Habitat. That is so awesome to me! I love watching all the wildlife around my house.

No comments: