Sunday, April 20, 2008

Progress on the chicken coop!

Hub and I made a lot of progress on the coop yesterday. The walls are up, the door and windows are framed in. We put up the external part of the walls on the back before the weather turned on us. I am hoping we can move the chicks in about two weeks.

I was able to put down the landscaping fabric for the garden. We bought the vermiculite, compost and peat yesterday. I was actually able to find coarse vermiculite--at a place that had originally told me they didn't have it. Now I know to be more persistent in my inquiries. My soil mix won't be exact, but it will have to do for this year. I need to buy about three or four bags of garden soil and some mulch to complete the prep for my garden.

The chickies enjoyed crickets again yesterday. I also picked up some meal worms, which caused a frenzy. On chick had a meal worm and everyone else chased her around the brooder trying to take it away. She finally tipped her head up and down it went. They are so funny.

Another project we did yesterday was a corner garden at the end of the driveway. Hub had some split rail fence left over from a job he did last year. We put it up in a corner pattern.

Some friends of ours are relocating to Maine in a couple of months and they offered us anything we wanted from their garden. So more FREE stuff!! Teasel, globe thistle, Russian sage, California poppies, and a hollyhock. We put it all with the split rail fence to create a corner butterfly garden.

They also gave us two kinds of mint, but I am thnking of planting that somewhere else. Maybe as a ground cover near the front walk.

The weather doesn't seem to be cooperating today for many of our outdoor projects, so I'll most likely work indoors the rest of the day. Spring in Indiana, gotta love it!

No comments: