Thursday, April 17, 2008

The chickies have left the buidling!

Today is my chicks first outing. We have a small pen we made as a "cat containment system", to corral the kitties when we were showing the house. It has chicken wire walls and a hinged lid. It is a warm, albeit very windy, day, but I decided they chicks needed some outside time. The brooder is getting a bit cramped. We are starting work on the coop tonight, hopefully we can have it liveable within a week if we get cracking on it.

Anyway, I took them out in the brooder and lifted each one into the little pen. They are so funny. They looked so puzzled. They each just stood there until everyone was together again and huddled against each other. I have a barrier on one side to keep most of the wind off and their food and water in the corner.

It took a while, but they finally started to explore and scratch. I can see them from the window and everyone seems fine. It was hard for mama to give them this freedom--I am surprise by how attached I have gotten to them. Of course, I have been an animal nut my whole life.
I know there is a big chance I'll lose some to predators no matter how careful I am. But, I have really been enjoying these birds.

This is one of the little things in the adventure that is my life!

No comments: