Saturday, April 12, 2008

Chickens and crickets!

I am having a ball raising my chickens. I ended up with ten because when Hub went to pick them up, he used "Hub logic". OK, the wife wants six chickens. Some of them might not survive. So, I'll get TEN chickens, and if some of them don't make it, she will still have close to the amount she wants.

I love that man.

I have ten lovely, healthy chicks, growing at an alarming rate.

They are so funny!Today, I bought 24 crickets for them. It was hilarious. I put the crickets in the brooder and the little darlings were scared to death of them! They huddled in a corner and peeped like crazy. My bet was on our little Warrior Chicken to figure it out first--sure enough, she was the bravest to venture out of the huddle and peck at a cricket. When she swallowed it, it was like she was saying, "Hey, guys, they're EDIBLE!" Soon, it was a free-for-all, with chicks going everywhere to snatch a cricket. They sure didn't last long!

So far, I love being a "chicken rancher"!!

No comments: