Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Still having spring fever!

We had our last organic gardening class this week. There was a seed swap at the end of class. Although we did not have seeds to share, there were so many offerings we were able to get many types of seeds for our gardens. Chris finally had to tell me to stop!

I think I will try to build my first raised bed this Sunday. I would like to have six of them. I may need a few more, with everything I have to grow. Actually, the gourds will probably do better in our sandy soil, rather than the raised beds. I think I should save our "good" soil in the beds for our vegetables. The gourds can make themselves at home in the ground.

I will have to construct some kind of barrier to keep the chickens out of the garden. I love to let them out and free range. They get to play, run, flap and do all things chicken. I also love that they will gorge themselves on grasshoppers and crickets. Last year, Chris would hunt for tomato hornworms to feed to the chickens. He gets some sort of sadistic pleasure out of it and will at times sing "Circle of Life" as he sacrifices some ravenous, tomato devouring worm to the hens. Silly man. I just love him.

The seeds I ordered from Seed Savers shipped today, so I expect them to arrive soon. I have some worries about starting from seed, but will give it my best effort. It is so exciting, to grow food for yourself. I suppose it is easy for me to say that. If my crops fail, I can still go to the grocery store for food. Centuries ago, that certainly was not an option!

I am looking forward to this Saturday. I will be scrapbooking with Angie and the girls. I am ready for a marathon scrap session. I do need to get some photos developed, but always have plenty of projects to work on. Hanging out with my friends is the best part; doing my favorite hobby while chatting is the icing on the cake.

I am anxiously watching the fruit trees we planted last fall. We planted semi-dwarf apple, pear, and peach trees, one of each. I know they probably won't fruit this year, but I just want to know they survived the winter. It got so cold this year.

So, I'll keep dreaming of the wonderful food I'll grow here on our little homestead, Cackle Berry Farm.

No comments: