Friday, February 20, 2009

Almost spring!

Sooo, we are again planning our garden. Hub is psyched about making terraced beds and I am excited about building raised beds. I hope to get to work on my beds this week. I'd like at least six. Check out the Garden Girl, Patti Moreno, for the technique I will be using. Her site is:

www.gardengirltv.com

We have been attending a local organic gardening class. The best part has been making connections with people from our community who are also interested in organic gardening. I hope to encourage them to join us on a yahoo group to keep in touch and share resources and produce.

The chickens are thriving. We still have our ten original hens, plus two Auracana hens we got at Dinky's auction house last July. We actually got ten Auracana chicks, but only two are still with us. I'll spare everyone the story of what happened to the others.

We have been getting 6-12 eggs a day, even in the winter. This winter has been so bitter, we put a portable radiator space heater in the coop. They girls were nice and toasty and their water didn't freeze.

Esther Bunny died last year, just a couple of month after we got her. I was heartbroken. She was a sweetie. Binky continues to thrive and he is quite a rotten little rodent. He has such personality!

Last fall, at the Fiber Arts Festival in Corydon, Indiana, I purchased another Angora rabbit. She is a satin Angora. Her color is lovely, almost apricot. I named her Angel even before I bought her. We have had to work with her to prevent wool block. She eats better than we do, lots of lettuce, kale, turnip greens, beets and carrots. She will eat broccoli, but definitely prefers leafy things. She is so gentle and sweet.

I don't plan on any more rabbits. I love these Angoras, but they are work! When these bunnies finally go (may that be many years), I would love to get another rabbit or two. But I think I'll choose something with a lot less fur! The rabbit poop is great for the garden and will be awesome in the worm bin we will be making soon.

On the work front, we just completed our annual State survey and did well. My Alzheimer's unit passed with flying colors and no tags. I am so relieved.

I am also busy working on my bachelor's degree in nursing. It has been a challenge, but I am thrilled that I have taken this step in my professional life.

Speaking of school, time to get busy on homework!

No comments: