Friday, June 27, 2008

Ten More Chicks!

Yep, you read that correctly. Hub and I went to a local farm auction tonight. Our running joke (we ALWAYS have a running joke) was that I would probably buy a baby goat. Of course, we aren't prepared for a goat, baby or otherwise. Imagine my surprise when Hub bought day-old chicks.

Araucana chicks, ten of them. These are the "Easter Egg" chickens. These lay light green eggs. They are adorable.

There is one that may not make it, it seems quite frail. We'll see how it does. I say "it" because we have no idea--since they were billed as laying green eggs, I assume some of them are female. No guarantees--there could be one or more roos in the bunch.

We drove home in a storm, awful, it poured so hard we could barely see the road. At home, we had to go out in the rain to bring in the brooder, bedding, feeder and waterer.

They are now nice and toasty in the master bathroom, heat lamp in place. I hope, hope, hope the little frail one survives. The rest are quite lively. Some are a brown/yellow stripe, two are yellow, some are a rich brown.

So, surprise! More chickies! I'll post pics soon.

No comments: