Tuesday, October 16, 2007

eco-stuff

OK, trying to get back on my more eco-friendly path. I do pretty well most of the time, but often convenience is tempting. When I take my lunch to work, I do a "trash in, trash out" kind of thing. I use re-usable containers and bring any cans home to recycle.

I have become interested in this whole "phantom load" thing. I know electronics use power, even when you turn them off. I would like to try power strips so the whole shebang can be turned off, the TV, computer, dvd player, microwave, etc. I wonder how much the dollar savings would be? My house is total electric, so it would be easy to track.

I am also looking into having chickens. How much fun would that be?? About four would be nice, I think. We use a lot of eggs, making frittatas, stratas, quiche. They cut down on pests, clear the ground, use up kitchen scraps, make fertilizer--sounds good.

I just wish I could do better with my transporation. I have to drive 22 miles to work. Walking to shop and to social/community events isn't feasible because we live just too far out. It's something I'll have to think about, maybe I can come up with something better.

No comments: