Sunday, August 10, 2008

Putting the garden to bed

As this year's garden effort, admittedly my first true garden attempt, was a bit of a bust, I have started putting most of the garden to bed. I am still getting some Roma tomatoes, which I share with the chickens, but most everything else has petered out.

I have learned a lot this year. I like the square foot gardening method, put forth by Mel Bartholomew, but find that only six inches of soil does not allow for enough root growth to maintain healthy plants. I really like the method used by Patti Moreno, the Garden Girl, with standard sized beds that can hold her chicken and rabbit tractors. Her beds are deeper. I think a hybrid of both methods is ideal.

This year taught me a lot about the pests in this area. I can spend some time in the off season learning about organic methods to control these pests.

I have a lot of good substance in my compost bin. I need to have Hub help me put together another bin to start the next pile.

I have a plan for next years garden, twelve raised beds. Ambitious, I know, but I am hopeful I can grow a bunch of our favorite fruits and veggies.

No comments: